If you have the ambition, talent and drive, consider a fast-moving career at Canada Post. The Maintenance Scheduler prioritizes, organizes and schedules preventive and corrective maintenance activities, and any other work performed by Technical Services maintenance employees. Subject matter expert in the use of the Computer Maintenance Management System, and any other software or system needed to optimize maintenance scheduling. Plans jobs that are adhoc or have not yet been planned by others. Suggests best practice work methods to Maintenance Supervision for the completion of planned and scheduled maintenance work. Develops and updates reports to track progress against KPI’s such as schedule compliance, productivity etc. Prepares accurate cost estimates of all planned and scheduled maintenance work. Works closely with Maintenance Management, HO Maintenance Planning, Maintenance Engineers, Inventory, Purchasing, Operations Management and Maintenance Technicians.
The successful candidate will
• Organizes, prioritizes and schedules maintenance (from short-term to long-term), installations and modifications of Plant equipment and the procurement of spare parts materials. Develops maintenance schedules and scheduling methods. Ensures all scheduled work has a time to complete estimate. Use resource leveling methodologies to ensure each employee has a full week of scheduled activities every week. Forecast maintenance work 3 weeks in advance and maintain an ongoing record showing advanced scheduling. Ensures incomplete work is rescheduled in accordance with equipment requirements and availability.
• Evaluates number of hours, labour and materials cost and performance records to identify recurrent problems and prepare reports. Monitors work in progress and prepare work orders or revised maintenance schedules to ensure work is completed on time. Updates manuals and other documents on maintenance and parts. Maintains an updated list of plant and maintenance equipment by type, category, location and status. Recommends minimum and maximum quantities of spare parts to be kept on hand in accordance with previous equipment use and the rate of parts.
• Drawing from an extensive maintenance background and technical competencies, conduct planning and scheduling to define best methods for the completion of scheduled maintenance activities. Applies resource leveling methodologies when developing weekly schedules. Establishes maintenance job task completion times and determines proper tools, parts and materials for the tasks by drawing on their extensive maintenance experience.
• Plans adhoc work and work not planned by others and suggests work methods to Maintenance Supervisors, Maintenance Superintendents and the Maintenance Manager.
• Applies technical competency knowledge when developing safety plans that ensure a safe work environment for CPC Technicians. Performs weekly Job Safety Analyses and utilizes findings to bolster future job plans.
• Communicates clearly all Safety requirements in each job planned and scheduled, including necessary PPE, LOTO and special work instructions. Prepares Safe Work Permits where necessary.
• Works closely with various internal functions to ensure optimum use of human and technological resources. Participates in discussions of scheduling alternatives for equipment availability. Obtains technical and other information required for tasks planning, availability, procurement time frames and the purchase of parts or materials required for repairs. Consults with maintenance supervisors or managers on matters related to performance and scheduled work. Organize individual work schedules required for maintenance.
• Carries out studies to determine work performance time, prepares cost estimates and establishes maintenance work schedules, routine schemes and workloads. Analyze work to be done and process it in order of priority. Coordinate maintenance and production activities. Establish lists and required and available person-hours. Evaluate required personnel by utilizing techniques such as critical routing methods and bar charts, evaluates range of alternatives available to obtain optimum performance. Examine completed work authorizations to verify that scheduled work has been carried out; reschedule incomplete work. Examine sample performance records and analyze and recommend required maintenance changes with respect to performance timeframes, frequency and significance of work.
• Recommends ways to increase maintenance cost-effectiveness. Participate and contribute to the preparation of a range of maintenance-related forms. In cooperation with Maintenance Management, Maintenance Engineers, Maintenance Planning and Reliability Engineers, develops the cost-effective records required to plan and monitor maintenance services. Design forms or other systems to obtain the information required for sound systems operations. Makes recommendations on modifications or fine-tuning of scheduling systems.
• Report weekly the maintenance department’s compliance to the work schedule and the preventive maintenance program, and other KPI’s as assigned. Ensure all work orders are returned with necessary completion comments including failure codes and any root cause identification. Using extensive previous experience in the area of resource leveling, manage work order backlog to ensure accuracy.
• Ensures the procurement of parts for equipment. Negotiates procurement of new part costs with suppliers and ensures follow-up. Confirm delivery and verifies items received.
• Performs other related duties. Represents the unit on various committees relative to the maintenance work program and schedules. Remain in contact with experts in the areas of training and technical maintenance and provide them with scheduling information to be included in courses. Participate in seminars, conferences and training courses related to the maintenance program and scheduling. Participate in cyclical or annual inventories. Draft correspondence, certify documents and reports.
Job requirements (Education and Work experience)
• At minimum, a diploma in a related field such as Engineering, OR Red Seal certification as millwright or electrician; combined with a minimum of 2 years’ experience in an industrial maintenance setting, preferably in a scheduling/planning role, OR a minimum of 4 years’ experience in a professional maintenance scheduling/planning role
• Experience using a CMMS (computerized maintenance management system), ideally Maximo, preferably in a scheduling and planning role
• Broad experience with Microsoft Office applications, particularly with Excel and Word.
As part of the selection process selected candidates will be required to complete a security screening process
Our Leadership Behaviours and Corporate Values
Decision Making - A champion of the organization who takes calculated risks and makes prudent, common sense decisions about current issues, future opportunities and resource requirements in a timely, well thought out manner, that aligns with the corporation's best interests.
Accountability - An individual who strives for performance excellence and who holds him/herself and direct reports accountable for decisions and actions and for learning from mistakes when intended results are not achieved.
Business Orientation - A proactive individual who understands the competitive nature of the business, and is committed to sustaining the business through excellent customer service and new business opportunities.
Execution - A focused and self motivated individual who acts with a sense of urgency and delivers on time and within budget, by dealing effectively with challenges and ambiguous situations.
Leading People - A compelling communicator and leader who engages, motivates and inspires others to achieve results and who encourages personal growth and finding better ways of doing things.
Other information about this job:
Priority will be given to internal candidates.
Canada Post offers
A total compensation package
• Competitive salary
• Annual incentive program
• Comprehensive individual and family benefits coverage
• Vacation and leave options
• Canada Post Registered Pension Plan
A strong community of employees
• Our employees drive innovation and ensure that our business continues to evolve to meet our customers’ changing needs
The satisfaction of a job well done
• You’ll be part of a winning team that touches the lives of millions
Careers that deliver
If you're ready to make a difference and discover your full potential, Canada Post delivers a variety of exciting and challenging career opportunities across the country. As one of Canada’s largest employers we’re committed to attracting, retaining and developing a winning team to meet the evolving needs of Canadians and secure our future.
Canada Post is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities.
The Conflict of Interest Policy prohibits employees from hiring, supervising or reporting to, directly or indirectly via the reporting hierarchy, their immediate family or close personal relations. Should you feel that you may be in an actual or potential Conflict of Interest in regard to this job opportunity, you must communicate with the designated Human Resources representative.
If you are contacted by Canada Post regarding a job opportunity or testing, please advise if you require accommodation.
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements as Canada Post cannot make assumptions about your education and experience.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.